Thursday, April 06, 2006

Eating Crow

Today's dye samples:

dyebook3

I know the formulas to dye camouflage clothes now. Woo. Hoo. Perhaps the yarn is not so colorful, but wait! What is that strange light? Is it emanating from the sky? And, are these samples hanging, dare I say it?, outside??

Yes, perhaps I spoke too soon:

skycrows

In this photo, although you probably can't see them because of scale, are two crows, flying around and laughing at me. I am metaphorically eating crow. They know it.

The breezy sun gave me a chance to prepare some wool fleeces and mohair, given to me by Sue and Lindsey, which were just waiting for a good day when I could set up plywood and sawhorses outside, and skirt their stinky selves. Here is how I do wool prep:

wool mohair

Yep: skirt, bag and box, and ship it off to the mill (in this case Morro Fleece Works). It comes back clean, carded and pin-drafted. Then I can sit, one hopes on a lazy summer day, and spin and spin and spin.

Lindsey gave me two fleeces, one Romney, which I'm sending out here with the mohair from Sue, and one finer fleece, which I am dyeing as we speak. Pot after pot of blues, then it too will go off to Morro, and come back ready to spin.

It seems I was not the only one under gloomy skies yesterday, judging by your responses. Hope your various days improve, as, obviously, mine has!

6 Comments:

Blogger ifthisistuesday.wordpress.com said...

Those are wonderful colors. Except for the yellow, which is shrivelingly bright. Shudder. :)

Q: Do you know of anything that measures dyestock at amounts under 1 ml with accuracy? I have a small syringe that measures in .2 increments, but I don't think it's that accurate, so was wondering if there was anything better.

lisa
www.blackwaterpark.blogs.com

1:31 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Lisa, I'm not Sara but have the answer to your question. Get a 1 ml pipette from ProChem and drive yourself crazy like I do.

8:38 PM  
Blogger claudia said...

All hail the elusive golden orb!

Wool prep after my own heart.

11:23 AM  
Blogger LauraJ said...

I am so glad you got decent weather at last! Mine has been raining (good for the amphibians) and is now partly cloudy and crisp in the 50's. PERFECT.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Well, there WAS one good day... spent the afternoon with the animals outside on Thursday. I missed seeing you yesterday and everyone else, but was at a baby shower in Downieville. Next month, and CNCH is coming up! If only there were more sun...

9:40 PM  
Blogger Bren Ahearn said...

I love the yellow. It brightens up this dreary, rainy day. Bren

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home