Friday, December 15, 2006

Birthdays and Weddings

December, already fraught with activity, has the added bonus of several birthdays in my family. Yes, two of which are my fault (well, I guess I cannot take full credit, but I had rights-of-first-refusal, which I did not exercise at the time).

Several days ago I noted Happy Birthday to Jesse, who responded by saying it was hard for him to believe he was 30. He can't be 30, because I am 35 and I am his mother. If I am 35, he is 10 (you may do the math here). He is a precocious 10; he drives, graduated from college, has a job, is married and owns a house. He travels alone by air, without a big tag around his neck. But he is 10 nonetheless.

His brother, therefore, cannot be even 10. He is 8. Happy Birthday Ben, 8 years old today! He, too, is accomplished, for an 8 year old. He drives, is a college graduate, has a job, and travels alone without a big tag. Amazing, isn't it?

Tomorrow we also have a winter wedding to celebrate, and there may be snow. It is raining here now, and temperatures are set to drop precipitously today and through the weekend. If there is any precipitation, we might just have the compleat winter wedding.

Lindsey's daughter Sarah is the bride. Lindsey wove horoscope scarves for each of the bridesmaids:

wedding shawls

Beautiful eh, and what a nice gift for each of Sarah's friends. The color order for each scarf is dictated by the recipients birth chart. Lindsey originally took a class from Bonnie Tarses, to learn this method of color selection, but she has adapted the colors and methods somewhat, and now has her own way of making these birth charts.

I have one of my own, from a class years ago with Bonnie:

horoscope scarf.2JPG

Working away here, mostly in the studio. What with Hanukkah, Solstice, Christmas, birthdays, and even a wedding, there is much yet to accomplish. But I am on the second-to-the-last CD (of 14) listening to The Thirteenth Tale, it is keeping me quite entertained. I may start it all over again as soon as it's done. It is a good listen, and there are miles to go before I sleep.

10 Comments:

Blogger dragon knitter said...

are those ages in leap years (ducks)

8:59 AM  
Blogger judy said...

Good math.
I ordered the CD's from the library, figure if they are holding your attention, I may enjoy them as well.
The weatherman says our weather is coming from the Pacific and that is why we have so much warm and wet weather... if your temps are dropping, maybe winter is on its way to us too.

9:25 AM  
Blogger claudia said...

I like the way you think.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Charleen said...

Those scarves are gorgeous. What a cool idea - I heard Bonnie talking about them on WeaveCast.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Whoa, Nelly! I'm 10, going on 11 and all of my children are in their 30's. How did that happen? Happy Birthday to your spawns.
I love the concept of Bonnie's weaving. Something to think about.

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those scarves are gorgeous!

1:20 AM  
Blogger Marcy said...

That scarf picture would look a lot better if it had a cat in it.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Reagan Patrice said...

Hi Sarah. I am facinated by the horoscope scarves Lindsey wove. I am trying to find information on how to do the color chart. I read the Handwoven article, but it gives a draft for you but doesn't tell you how to create one using your birthday. Can either you or Lindsey help me?

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Reagan,

I had the same wish/frustration a couple of years ago and begged Bonnie to create a Horoscope "workshop in a box" since I wasn't able to get to her workshops. These days, for a reasonable fee, she'll convert your horoscope into a threading diagram and provide instructions on how to wind, weaving tips, etc. For more info, you can contact her from the email link at the bottom of her Web site http://www.bonnietarses.com/html/meet_bonnie.html

No affiliation, just a happy customer. I just finished weaving my horoscope from her instructions, and tis lovely. :>

Syne

11:18 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

This particular post has changed my life. I have gotten several e-mails and even a weaving order. I finally decided I should put up a blog myself. So a big thank you Sara!! Thanks for the nod, the link, and the inspiration. Your creativity and generous spirit (and great sense of humor)are to be admired.

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home