Friday, November 16, 2012

At Last!

I finished a new sweater:
sweater 045

I started this several months ago, but have had to put it aside while more pressing projects needed attention. It's handspun wool, Lincoln, Blue Faced Leicester, Romney, etc. All sorts of outdoor-wear breeds of wool.

This was knitted top-down; a design-as-you-go stranded cardigan, with a steeked front. The front closure for the steeks is a knitted envelope, or steek sandwich! which I learned from this post by Kate Davies.

It has the necessary pockets:
sweater 001

Also the requisite hood:
sweater 021

and cuffs...
sweater 003
that turn into hand warmers!

The buttons were an issue. I tried several (of course, Plan Ahead applies here: the sweater was done, buttonholes included, before I looked at buttons, so I was limited in my choices).

Wood:
sweater 002

Leather:
sweater 004

Dyed bone, which I liked best, sewed on, but it turns out the shank tip catches on the yarn (boo):
sweater 003

So I had to go with these:
sweater 023

Dyed wood, very large and lightweight. They are perfect for the buttonholes, and the color is good: they will do nicely. The button holes are applied i-cord: a very neat and tidy finish to the steek sandwich front bands.

So there you have it! Handspun, stranded, steeked, hooded, with built-in mitts, a new sweater just in time for winter:
sweater 011


10 Comments:

Anonymous Gwen said...

Awesome Sweater!

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it. Beautiful truly beautiful.
I really like the I-cord button bands. I'm working on a sweater that I will steek. I thought I'd have to put in a zipper but wasn't thrilled with that idea but applied i-cord thats just the ticket.
Heidi

12:05 PM  
Blogger Deanna said...

So cool! I'm particularly fond of the cuffs that become hand-warmers.

2:30 PM  
Blogger TinkerTots said...

Wow! That is stunning!

4:23 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

Fantastic!!

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Marcy said...

FABulous! Every detail is perfectly perfect. And I applaud you ability to do that much applied i-cord. :D

5:14 AM  
Blogger Dogmommy4 said...

Just beautiful Sara! That blue is perfect for you.

Aren't buttons sometimes the hardest part?!!? Made a little sweater for a new baby and they drove me nuts till I stumbled upon the right ones.

I am working on getting you back to Ventura for a workshop. Stay tuned... :o)

10:56 AM  
Blogger Charlene said...

Turned out fabulously (no surprise; it was already gorgeous at 95%). Fits you well too!

Word Verification: "ooksngn 7" - Borg exclamation at spoiled food or dead animal or baby waste

2:25 PM  
Blogger Freyalyn said...

Utterly fabulous, and just right for you. Such surprising colours...!

3:22 AM  
Blogger Charleen said...

What a gorgeous sweater (and model)! I love it!

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home