Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Charming

I've been at the metal clay again:

charms3

These are for my son and his fiance (well, my son probably won't get such a thrill out of them, so we'll say they are for his fiance). They are smallish (forgot the dime, but for scale the bottom charm is 1/2" long), and on the back have their initials and 06 stamped into them: they are getting married next year. If she likes these, they are meant to hang on the back of necklaces she will make for the bridesmaids. I will make more, if she wants them all to match, these are samples.

Some are pressed into molds I made from buttons. I wish I could photograph the detail better. They might need a little patina, to make the details more evident. I used PMC(tm) clay for these because it has the advantage of shrinkage: I made them larger, used stamps for the letters on the back, and then they shrink about 25% in the firing.

I just stopped, dipped a few charms in a patina solution, and buffed them:

charms5

I think you can see the detail better, and S. will be able to decide which finish she likes. I should have done this before the wire and silver bead were added, but hey, they are samples. They'll need a bit more polishing. The dime, of course, showed up for scale.

I had more than enough wedding charms, and still extra clay, so I made some bits for me:

charms4

A few don't have holes yet: I couldn't decide if I wanted to hang them like charms, or sew them onto fabric somewhere. I can drill the holes when I use them.

Some of them looked like leaves, so I made a necklace:

necklace2

This is *so* not me: too sweet and it's um, green. I've had the beads for years; one of my sons went with me to a gem show years ago, thought these would look nice in a necklace for me, and I bought them. Green, not a color I use much; they have languished. I added a few beads of Bali silver and voila, necklace.

Ranging even further afield from my normal comfort zone, I *almost* made a pair of earrings to match (matched sets, also *so* not me). But, the charms are cut facing the same direction, and in earrings, that looks like two left feet. I refrained.

3 Comments:

Blogger vanessa said...

holy cow, i thought i was a good mil ;-)

6:11 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

My, you were busy! Very pretty. (I also like green...)

11:37 AM  
Blogger Stasia said...

How neat!

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home