Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Tied to the Dyepots

Kate asked for an inside picture of the yurt. I gasped, it is in such a state that I could not, in good conscience, have a photo taken. Yikes, time to clear out and clean up, after several whirlwind project messes. Then I remembered these photos, taken when the yurt was first built, and not all the boxes were unpacked. These are scans of photographs, the quality is not that good, but you get an impression of what the inside looks like. First the outside:

yurt5
Pacific Yurts, 24' diameter, and yes, red. There are lots of other colors available, most people probably get a green or brown one to blend in with their surroundings.

I've mentioned the yurt as a perfect studio to some people lately too, so I'm hoping these don't scare Adam, Shelia. Or if they do, they scare him into building a studio over your garage.

The inside:

yurt2 (2)
to the right of the door, one of the worktables, bead stuff, and the upright rug loom.

yurt3 (2)
the back of the yurt, opposite the door. The end of another table, yarn, another upright loom, and my floor inkle loom.

I realize I don't have a picture of the south side, where the floor loom, more shelves and my spinning wheel reside. You'll have to imagine it though, as nothing on this green earth could get me to take a photo of it now. In its present state, the clutter on the floor serves as a deterrent to any intruders. Trapped in fluff, they would be.

I'm tied to dyepots, stirring, and checking, rotating and refilling, so I am spending time on the backporch dyespace, not in the studio. But I can look at these pictures, imagine being there, imagine all the clutter cleared away, and room to work again. Someday. Soon.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kate Robertson said...

Sara, I am sure your studio does not look that bad but I do understand wanting it clean for pictures. These older one are just fine. Thanks for posting them.

Kate

8:32 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

If you showed us your mess we'd all feel better about our own messes.

2:17 AM  
Blogger Purple Fuzzy Mittens said...

Red is a fine color! (Do you suppose they come in purple?) You have gotten me thinking. There is no space in my little house for a Navajo loom; perhaps a small yurt in the backyard.... Hmm.....

10:28 AM  
Blogger claudia said...

I want your yurt. I don't care if its messy. Its better messy anyways.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

A terrific, open studio space! And I love the red color.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Shelia said...

Well, the picture didn't exactly scare him, Sara, and he did like the color, but I think the second story over the garage is becoming his favorite option. I'm not sure that he wants to try to level part of the yard for the platform of a yurt.

Great Alaska pictures, too. I really must get mine organized and posted - I'm feeling very slow about this.

5:52 PM  
Blogger maylin said...

Hi there, this is the first blog I have found with another yurt on. I followed the link from dyehappy. I am envious of all the crafting space you have. We also have a 24ft yurt but it is also our living space as well as storing all my yarn, fibre, material etc. We also have a 14ft yurt linked to it which is a bedroom. We have lived like this (in rural France) for the last 3 years and before that we lived in the 14ft yurt only in the UK. We have a house to renovate but not much incentive as the yurts are so comfortable (but I know what you mean about taking photos though it all looks rather scruffy after 3 years.)

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home