Thursday, January 04, 2007

Sun, Sand and Surf in the Tropics

Starting the New Year right, we lounged on the beach in the Tropics. There were drinks with little umbrellas, guacamole and chips, sun, soft warm breezes, the sound of waves crashing on the shore, fireworks at midnight, and did I mention the drinks on the beach?

I'd have photos to post but, well, I guess I'm not so good with the photos. I do have some, but they are in the camera, as in film, as in yet to be developed.

How Old School.

Meanwhile (while we wait for me to finish the roll and have it developed), here is my complete tropical knitting kit:

Mexico Knitting kit

which I used to knit four of these:

Mexico washcloth

Beach knitting, plaza knitting, couch knitting, palapa knitting. Sum total: one week, four washcloths. I like to take my own washcloth while traveling, the others were for my traveling companions. I also left one for the woman who took care of us and the house we rented.

I took several other proposed projects to work on, but between reading, eating and lounging, cotton washcloths won the day. I started the first while we were airborne on the way down, and finished the fourth just after I got home. See that small kit? One cone of slub cotton yarn, one circular needle, one additional needle for the edge knitting, a point protector/stitch holder, four markers, a sewing needle for the two ends (start and finish), and dental floss, because I initially forgot my stitch markers (checked in the suitcase) and needed to make markers on the way down. For some odd reason, no stitch markers were to be found for sale in the Phoenix Airport [there's a marketing idea: knitting supplies at airports. I bet someone could make a killing (hah), no pun intended, and please God, don't let the transportation safety police read this].

What might I have purchased while enjoying the sun and sand on the beach?

Mexico beads

Beads, green beads. (Yes, Marcy, green). Just because. I liked them. I thought I might be able to use them. I really like the peridot green beads. On the way home I thought about a necklace made with them, with branch fringe. I made some prototype earrings:

Mexico earrings

A bit wild, but maybe I'm still in a Tropical mood. If I ever want to dress up as Carmen Miranda, I've got the baubles.

Anyway, all that is behind me. It is white outside right now; rain, hail and snow today. No sun, no beach, no tropical breezes. I'm back.

7 Comments:

Blogger judy said...

Ahh.. you do live the charmed life. I think winter is the perfect time to wear those red hot earrings. Little extra color never hurts.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

It took an additional hour to drive home tonight on the ice so it's extra nice to see the tropical baubles. They're cool though, snow or not!

9:05 PM  
Blogger Marcy said...

I've been wondering where you'd gotten to. Tropical, huh? Good for you guys.

And as for the green beads, I think you just bought them so you could throw them in my face. :D Green. Uh huh. Sure.

5:54 AM  
Blogger claudia said...

Nothing wrong with old school...except how long will it take you to finish that roll?

7:15 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

So envious of a tropical vacation right now, between the dark and the ice. Those earrings remind me of branching coral, and knitting supplies in airports sounds ok by me.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

It has been mild up here in Canada, but nothing that I would describe as tropical. I can only be envious of your beads, earrings, knitted washcloths, and ( I assume) high vitamin D levels. Glad that you have a great holiday.

4:32 PM  
Blogger cindy said...

Love those earrings!!! Is it hard to string the beads?

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home