Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Making Things

I've been doing a little silk knitting and kumihimo:
silkpurse

This is a class sample, 4-ply bombyx silk yarn, knitted on 00's. I have knitted with 2-ply for lace before, but had not tried a solid fabric. It looks nice, and feels fabulous, a success.

The kumihimo band is made with reeled silk given to me by Michael:
kumihimo

It's threaded through holes in the knitting:
silkpurseband

And then doubled back:
silkpursebanddoubled

Sharp people will notice there is also crochet at the top of the bag; I'm not adept at it, but I can get the job done. It does make a nice finish, and looks fine on both sides, so it is good for flop-over tops.

Lots of people make things, of course, and we went to San Mateo last weekend to see some of them at the Maker Faire. This is our second year going, and people have asked just what is the Maker Faire, so ths year I took some photos.There were foodies of various sorts, including cheese makers:
cheese makers

mushroom growers:
mushroom growers

Chocolate makers:
chocolate makers

Local food advocates:
local food advocates

There were blacksmiths:
blacksmiths

A cooper:
cooper

Welders and sculptors of all kinds:
welded tree
welded trees: fire safe, and tres cool.

Rocket makers and makers of other things launchable:
potato gattling gun
This is a potato gattling gun. I'm just glad my boys did not think of this when they were in the potato-launcher stage of growing up...

There were Art Cars:
whirly car2
Whirly Car

radio flyer car
Radio Flyer Car

A car with actual bras:
car bra

Inside the buildings were all sorts of robotic cars:
robotic cars

A chair made from corrugated cardboard:
corrugated chair

There were things for yarnies too: Tactile had a nice booth inside the Craft building, and I talked with Brooke a bit about how her business and life have changed with a new baby. She will also be a vendor at SOAR this year, yay!

Outside, there was a solar dyed yarn purveyor:
solar yarns

Primitive Arts booth:
Primitive ways

with felted hats and boots, baskets and tools:
primitive ways2

mineral painting agents:
primitive ways3

The Maker Faire has just about anything you could imagine, booths with helpful people teaching things. Spindles and Flyers Guild had a booth teaching spinning, there were several yarn companies teaching knitting and crochet, sewing and quilting, all sorts of crafts, not to mention the electronics guys, and the mechanical guys, solar stuff, electric cars, rainwater collection systems, you name it. If you can make it, it was there, with lots of happy people of all ages playing, demonstrating, talking about what they make, and learning things. It's reminiscent of the 60's, with new century variants.

It is crowded; there are various strategies to cope with parking, crowds, eating, whatever, but the fairgrounds is a big place, made to handle lots of people, and it never seemed overwhelming. This coming from me, who is crowd-averse.

All in all it is a fun day, with too much to see and do, and we arrived home Very Tired!

11 Comments:

Blogger woolydaisy said...

awesome photos! i so wanted to go!!!!

3:39 PM  
Blogger Freyalyn said...

That looks like such fun - you obviously had a great day. Wish I'd been there.

3:48 AM  
Blogger Spindlers2 said...

Fabulous bag! I have tried knitting with silk, and like it, too.
I also lust after the welded tree.....

4:48 AM  
Blogger Alwen said...

That looks like a LOT of fun.

5:03 AM  
Blogger June said...

Car bra, ha ha ha...

You increased my vocabulary with a new word: cooper! Thanks!

7:00 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Great photos! I've been seeing a lot of chatter on Twitter about Makers Fair. It looks and sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

9:34 AM  
Blogger elizabeth said...

That looks wonderful! I love your bag too, our guild is having a bag swap for our holiday gift exchange this year and I'm thinking along the same lines but have no idea how to make a kumihimo band! Must research!

9:35 AM  
Blogger Deanna said...

Love the bag - looks like it probably feels luxurious, too.

Lucky you for having the Makers Faire in range. Sounds like a blast for everybody.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I wanted to go to the Maker Faire last year and saw pictures on Fashionist's blog, which made me want to go even more. Now I see the pictures on yours and the jealousy grows. With nine working days left to my career bondage, my time will soon be open ended. I may even get over to listen to the banter between you, Sue, Dee and Lindsey - hope so.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

It was great to see you Sara and I can't wait to spend more time with you at SOAR!

9:32 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

What a lot of fun! And tasty too!

4:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home