Saturday, December 26, 2009

Twelve Calm Nights

These next twelve days and nights always seem like a gift to me, the calm after the storm. Deadlines have been met, things are done, there is food aplenty and friends and family still around to visit.

The Christmas knitting is done, wrapped and given:
christmas knitting 2009

And projects planned but postponed are back on tap:
spindle bag 2

I have been spinning and dyeing for this new project: a spindle bag, for the Golding Mandala spindle you see with the yarn and pattern. Some of the yarns (the white and turquoise so far) were spun on the very spindle this bag will house, and the design is, of course, inspired by the spindle itself. I'm setting up the Cricket for this portable project, and am just wiggling with anticipation.

I expect this to be the first of several (!) new bags. I want them for the upcoming classes, so people will have new bags to see, new ideas for their own projects. I like to bring new things, not the same old worn out samples, and in some cases, I am also trying new colors: Amy! the green yarn is new! I'm branching out (heh). (You and Sarah in the comments: too funny, and alas, too true).

Gone are the days when I had children at home for another week, but regular business does not settle down to the usual routine until after the New Year (or Twelfth Night, in my case). Let the weaving commence!

7 Comments:

Blogger Sojourner Design said...

I have extra time over the next week too, and I'm relishing this time too. Spent a little time warping today and can't wait to get started!

Diane

2:24 PM  
Blogger Deanna said...

I love the 12 days of Christmas idea, and the fact that they end with "epiphany". A lovely lull, and then all will be revealed.

Love the design for your new spindle bag.

2:31 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

Not 'alas'; never 'alas'! They are lovely colours and they suit you, too. But by all means branch out: if I can learn to love pink, there's hope for anyone :-)

I'm wriggling with anticipation of my Flip, which should arrive in late January. I've just realised that it's the solution to several problems, including 1000m of ivory seasilk. Scarves all round!

5:02 AM  
Blogger woolydaisy said...

for me it's the 14 days of xmas-no schooling. aaahhhhh!!! although i'm still working on holiday gifts it's just so laid back i could get used to this!

8:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous. All of it.

We went to the Gengis Khan exhibit (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8958228@N04/4220088341/) and I thought of you when we saw the Yurt. I think my girlies (in the center) were probably several years younger last time I saw you. Take care!

5:42 PM  
Blogger judy said...

What a great idea!! Please post pics as you go. I'm loving the pattern and color.
Here, there's a big "whew' in the air. Today was the first day in a very long time, that I was able to sit, listen to a story and knit. Wonderful. I can hardly wait for tomorrow.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Regina D. said...

I enjoy reading your blog. I also have a Mandala spindle from Golding and can't wait to see your bag. I am just beginning your book Woven Treasures and am very inspired!

6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home