Friday, August 13, 2010

Blue Period

I seem to be weaving blue these days:
towels aug 2010

And:
button bag progress aug 2010

For a slight change, I made some ugly yarn:
IMG_2851

Which still has blue in among the colors:
spindle glove yarn aug  2010

I actually planned this, kinda-sorta: there are 6 colors, the first single is long repeats, the second is shorter repeats, and the third single is a variation of two of the colors. This is spindle spun, and I actually had to repeat the whole sordid ordeal for a second skein....

I just did not plan for it to be so ugly.

It will be gloves, though, so I can make some glove covers for the body of them and cover up the ugly yarns. I have a set of skeins which will cover nicely:
Graftyon yarn before

The colors were a bit bright, so I overdyed the gold and orange with a small amount of violet:
grafton yarn after

I know monitors are color-fickle, but I hope you can see that the two yarns were toned down a notch. I bought the batts, to make gloves, from Dyak Crafts years ago. You'd think I could pick out the right colors from all those beautiful choices, but alas, sometimes fiber, spun up, looks a bit different than what I planned. Hence the ugly yarns....

Why gloves? Why now? Because I'm on the road again, and need a small travel project. Back soon!

9 Comments:

Blogger GABY said...

Call me weird but i like the yarn, i think it's pretty.The colors are mute but happy.would make a great hat or scarf :)no need to cover it up.

6:02 AM  
Anonymous Alison said...

I'm with you: that yarn is rather ugly. Though I've seen ugly yarn make beautiful project (and vice versa) in the past, so who knows?!

Enjoy your travelling,

Alison

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Michelle said...

Apparently I'm always in a blue period ;)

I love the yarns picked out for the cover, especially the tweedy effect in the purple on!

7:13 AM  
Blogger Charleen said...

Batts transform during spinning and yarns change during the knitting. I'm betting that you will love the finished product!

8:56 AM  
Blogger Mia said...

that first blue is gorgeous! I like watchin' even if I don't feel like makin' *grin*

2:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the blue cloth on your loom!!!

12:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm with Gaby. I like it!

6:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Clearly you should send this horrid, ugly, awful, no good, very bad yarn to me. I will protect you from is post haste. Quick, put it in a box before it can infect your house with ugly!

7:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Clearly you should send this horrid, ugly, awful, no good, very bad yarn to me. I will protect you from is post haste. Quick, put it in a box before it can infect your house with ugly!

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home