Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Attempt at Chronology

Whoops! Much time passes, here is a quick photo round-up:
Marcy weaving Nov. 2010
There was weaving in Vermont.

More weaving:
November download 422

November download 428
The Gathering went quickly: a weekend only, it was over in a flash.

Then there was a last-of-the-year boat ride on Lake Mendota in Wisconsin:
November download 472

with doggies:
November download 446

Then, I actually went home. Waiting for me when I got there was this:
November download 484

a several-months long experiment in cold batch natural dyeing. The jars contain madder and wolf lichen (also yarn). The aluminum pot contains more madder and yarn:
November download 485

Nest Rubio wrote an article in SpinOff (Spring 1993 for those of you following along) about cold batch natural dyeing. These are some of the samples she made of madder batches:
madder  samples

I, of course, tried a variation on the theme: instead of mordanting in alum for 30 days, I used pre-mordanted yarn for um, let's say 60 days (have no real idea when I started this, but it was summer, after I came home from England in July, and before I left for Colorado in August).

There was some scum on the top of the lichen jar, but the lid was cracked so it was not really sealed. The madder jar, and the pot of madder were both pristine (as in yarn and madder only) and the colors were:
November download 491

One of the madder skeins is muted slightly, I think it's the one from the pot. The jar yarns were fabulous! I have never seen that bright and clear a yellow from this lichen (I usually heat it for dyeing),lovely! I will do some sun-tests next.

Of course, I will get new! updated! photos of this little bug at Thanksgiving:
Marin October 2010

3 Comments:

Blogger Charlene said...

She looks so grown-up with all that hair!

2:41 PM  
Blogger goatldi said...

Well about time - enough with all this fiber *stuff*

I was beginning to wonder if the little love bug had been abducted by aliens!

8:51 PM  
Blogger Mia said...

my long time friend.. I can't seem to find an email address for you, but I had to tell you this. You made a difference in a life.

The words you said were the kindest ever said to me, or about me. In my life. And I am honored... and also kind of proud that my true self shows through on my blog. And totally amazed that you've hung in there with me through all of that.

Thank you for being you, and may you be abundantly blessed.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home