Thursday, June 02, 2005

That Math Thing Again

silks1 May 2005

Last Friday I finished dyeing all the silk for class materials. I tried to get a range of colors. Each packet will contain a dark, a medium and a light, plus white and tussah (pale gold), to do the class project. I have to think of colors I would not normally use, and color combinations with them, so this is a challenge (of sorts, I realize there are degrees, and this is no Climbing Mount Everest challenge, but still).

So, I think there's enough green to satisfy Freyalynn, and several Dark Colors Not Blue to satisfy Claudia (see? There's brown, and dark green and even Really Dark Red).

Here are a few close ups;

dark silks May 2005
silks May 2005

There is another picture,
silk May 2005
where I tried to organize them by color family, but the darks disappear in the shadows, so I had to mix them up a bit.

I was getting a bit tired of the morning dye routine, and I thought when I finished I would rush to put away the dye pot, but nope. As soon as it was free, I started in on some of my future projects:

rug yarn

This is commercial rug yarn, for a knotted pile table runner, which I have designed and planned, but cannot get to until at least July. But the yarns are ready! Is anyone surprised at the colors I chose? I thought not.

I also dyed some navy silk yarn for cardweaving, but it doesn't photograph well, so you'll have to imagine it (dark navy silk here).

I counted the silk bundles as I stacked them in a bin to store them away until next Fall, and there are 59. I need 60. Oh, my (that is not the word I used in actual real life), I'm one bundle short. That very loud groan you hear is me, going back to the dyeing board.

6 Comments:

Blogger ifthisistuesday.wordpress.com said...

Oh My God, what wonderful colors. Especially the dark ones...:)

11:45 AM  
Blogger Charleen said...

Beautiful colors - there's something to satisfy everyone's color lust!

2:02 PM  
Blogger claudia said...

There is a delightful amount of red in there. Ooooo...and greens and yellows. Blue? Well, if you must.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Freyalyn said...

Yep, gorgeous colours. If I were to be really nitpicky there doesn't seem to be any deep turquoisy greens, but I'll take them off your hands quite happily. I'd love to see what finally comes out of the class. And I'm now planning tablet weaving in dyed silk...

1:06 AM  
Blogger Spindlers2 said...

Well, it may be my monitor, but I can't see much real purple.......
Or brown.
(There's always one.)
But truly gorgeous colours!

5:06 AM  
Blogger Katy said...

Those pictures are so gorgeous, I can't even imagine how lovely all those bundles look in person. I just want to pet them all!

5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home