Thursday, April 05, 2007

Color Play

Here's a new weaving in progress:
atropos detail

At first, I designed it in red, dark grey, light grey and black:
atropos yarns 1

But I thought it might be too stark and cold a series of colors, so I took some yarns to the SSK, and asked for advice. These are the colors they liked:

atropos yarns2

Much warmer, eh? A problem though is there are three colors of the same value, and the design needs two light values, and two darks. I thought I could strand yarns together to get the correct values:

atropos yarns3

The red would be stranded with orange, the gold with a really pale gold, the green with a brown, and the light brown by itself. I think this would have worked, but we'll never know.

I just couldn't pull that particular color trigger, and went to my previous cold (albeit somewhat warmed up) palette. In the sample you see, the red is stranded with orange (a bit warmer) and the medium grey is stranded with lavender (a bit more color), the black is stranded with dark blue, which is probably only noticeable in person. I'm a fan of a few surprises when you see something in real life, as opposed to photos, so that's OK.

But now the women at the SSK are just going to slap me: I so disregarded their advice. Will they ever be willing to weigh in again? Time will tell. Meanwhile, I weave on.

2 Comments:

Blogger Deanna said...

My mother once asked why I kept asking for her advice and then ignoring it. I told her I wanted guidance, not directions. :-) She just shook her head, but I still think advice is incredibly valuable, even when we don't choose to follow it!

3:09 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Of course they'll weigh in again. Fiberists are full of opinions, among other things...

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home