Monday, April 30, 2007

Mitten Mania

I blame Marcy.

Travel knitting time is coming up fast and furious, and I started thinking about mittens.

Not that it is the first time mitten knitting has occurred to me:

mitten books1

and:
mitten books3

and:
mitten books4

and I recently bought Teri's new book:
mitten books2
[Aside: This book is a treasure trove of history, information and knitting patterns. Buy it! That's my philosophy. They might go out of print someday (heh).]

I've knit a few pair of mittens in the past. Colorful handspun silk/wool blend:
mittens1

And two-end handspun twined knitting mittens (yikes! early knitting, probably around 1980, don't look closely):
mittens2

I've been testing, trying out yarns, trying to see which yarn and which pattern (if any) I will try:
mitten yarns2
These are handspun wools, all three ply, about the same grist (about the same as in useable together, I haven't measured).

Or commercial sock yarn which once was white:
mitten yarn white

but is now dyed:
mitten yarns

I'm leaning toward knitting my new mittens from the top down, like in Anna Zilboorg's book. I won't have the very large gauntlets, they might be narrower.

I won't have time to spin up any new yarn for the first pair, but by the end of summer I'll have spun up some grey and wine-red for a second pair, probably Selbu-based. It's a fun fantasy to think of knitting them, or anything, and I think that's why I sometimes have 'startitis': the dream of the perfect project, whether they be mittens, a shawl, a sweater, a new silk ribbon or the most beautiful, soft knotted pile rug for the floor.

It's one more reason why I keep doing all of this: the dream of it all.

9 Comments:

Blogger Marcy said...

Heee! Bi-coastal enablement. I love it! :D

2:08 PM  
Blogger Marcy said...

Oh, and could you tell us about the Norwegian mitten book, please? I don't know that one.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I haven't been bitten by the shawl or mitten bug yet. Having said that I would never knit socks, dozens of pairs later I know that interest comes without warning. Lindsay says she knows entrelac so that's my next thing to learn.

2:57 PM  
Blogger cindy said...

I think I own about 3/4's of your mitten books. I love The Swedish Mitten Book myself. I look forward to your mitten "knitten"..............

3:46 PM  
Blogger claudia said...

Do you actually need mittens?

(ok, besides the point)

Just testing to see if Blogger will let me in now.

6:07 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

Poor Marcy. She gets blamed for everything.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Anne P said...

They are a good travel project. Looks like you have...um... plenty of reference material for them too. :)

3:12 PM  
Blogger Tanglewood Fiber Creations said...

I have just taken apart my gloves for the 6th time and loved your posting of books! Thanks Trish, Tanglewood Fiber Creations

2:07 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

What a great supply of books! I guess that you have been thinking about mittens for a while!
I've been thinking about mittens lately too! Now that spring is finally here. Funny how the mind works.

5:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home