Monday, July 25, 2005

A Lovely Sight

bobbin

You non-spinners are probably bored silly with photos of full bobbins, and bobbins-in-progress. But there is something so enchanting to me about a full bobbin. And judging by the photos on other blogs, to other spinners as well.

This is zone-out spinning. You'll notice the dime, these bobbins are from the SpinTech. Big. As in 1/2 lb. skeins. This is fabulous displacement activity during hot weather. The SpinTech is effortless. I can be practically asleep, there is no treadling, and the fiber prep means I just sort of *hold* the roving, and twist runs in. Well, sometimes I have to sit up and slide the hook. If I turn the SpinTech sideways to me (orienting the bobbins in full view) it generates a breeze! That, a fan, a studio with the swamp cooler on, and a glass of tea: now you have a picture of my afternoons.

This is the last of the pindrafted roving of a wool/mohair blend from last year. I won no cigar in the Empty Bins Project: I did not get all of this spun up before the new supply came back from the processor. I *am* on the last 2 pounds:

roving

I use both Yolo Wool Works (for their *French top*) and Morro Fleece Works (for their *pin drafted* roving). This is from Morro Bay.

And the end result?

rug yarn2

So far, about twelve pounds spun and dyed. The remainder will be undyed (sort of creamy off-white). This is all for knotted pile, just the pile weft, and probably enough for a small rug, several bags, and who knows what else. I do have an idea, but it's experimental. You'll be the first to see it, whether it works or no. This instant publishing is so. .. instant!

Hi and welcome Amy! Glad you found the blog. Thanks for the book mention, I'll have to look for it. But don't hold your breath on that *post every 2 or 3 days* thing. I am not that productive, and without weaving and spinning to talk about, I might degenerate into rambling monologues. And what an aging, progressive, left-coaster can rant about these days, well, it's just not pretty. And here? We're all about the *pretty*.

5 Comments:

Blogger claudia said...

You are liking the "instant-ness" of the publishing, I see.

;-)

I love full bobbin pictures. Haven't had one for awhile, so I'll live vicariously.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

I am a beginner spinner and find full spindles full of wonderfulness rather fascinating...in an unattainble way. :-) Beautiful work, beautiful yarn!

11:16 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

I am a beginner spinner and find full spindles of wonderfulness rather fascinating...in an unattainble way. :-) Beautiful work, beautiful yarn!

11:17 AM  
Blogger Spindlers2 said...

Oh, lovely, indigo, madder and weld!

12:30 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

Hmm...there's something niggling me about spinning 1/2 lb. lengths of yarn to be cut into pile.

Kind of like weaving yardage to cut into for piecing.

However, your results are such a visual treat that I guess we'll let you get away with it. (wink)

I love the colors....and envy that you have that much spun. Guess I'd better get to my wheels!!

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home