Friday, October 21, 2005

A Little More Help from My Friends

Last Weekend, our guild had a fun dye day. Two of the participants dyed some knitted fabric, inspired by my friend Nancy Roberts. Nancy was our guild presenter in September, and not only were people inspired, some bought fabric kits to dye from her, and one even bought a knitting machine to really immerse herself in knitted, dyed and then reknitted fabric. What am I talking about?

This:

Sue's fabric

My neighbor Sue knitted this fabric (on her brand new knitting machine!) and then dyed it. The resulting fabric is fast becoming new socks:

Sue's socks

Sue also did some experimenting:

Sue's experimental fabric

She overdyed a bit of handspun Shetland grey fabric, which will become a swatch for a future mosaic knitted sweater. The grey yarn she will use with this is handspun Coopworth from her own flock. Yes! I have sheep living right up the street!

She also knit fabric for another pair of socks, but since it turned out so *huge*, it may become legwarmers (!):

Sue's big sock fabric

Nancy has been an incredible inspiration to our guild: several members have begun to experiment using Nancy's techniques. Nancy left us with so much to think about after her presentation; in fact, she's still experimenting too:

PC Scarf Cropped (2)

Here's a black and white knit scarf (she used a punchcard, whatever that is!), that she overdyed:

Punchcard Scarf Dyed 008 (2)

Cool, huh? Nancy's teaching at SOAR in two weeks(!), and I can't wait to see what the people in her class come up with!

4 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

Really, really pretty. You keep showing that knit/dye/knit technique, and I'm really going to have to try it. It's just so cool!

12:58 PM  
Blogger Charleen said...

I had a chance to talk with Nancy and see some of her sweaters at SOAR last year. She's done some amazing things.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

Oh my goodness, those socks are gorgeous! Another reason I need a knitting machine. That is so amazing! Ah, fabric is wonderful.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

inspiration, now give me the time to carry it out!

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home