Saturday, February 25, 2006

Experimenting

Intrigued by a list question, I tried a little experiment:

Anna Neuper

I used Anna Neuper's Modelbuch of patterns for brocaded bands in a pick up inkle band. This one is from page 54, pattern #74.

This band is 5/2 cotton, pattern threads doubled, and the loom was set up with 12 pattern threads. The little sample uses only 11 pattern threads, so there is a little extra blip along the right side, of the unused pattern thread moving along, but not part of the pattern. Ignore that, and the little design works nicely.

I see no problem with using the patterns for pick up. Other than turning the floating threads 90ยบ, the patterns come out with the same surface appearance as those used in brocade. Well yay, there are 80 patterns in this little booklet!

2 Comments:

Blogger LMH said...

I have that book too--I was going to translate it to doubleface tabletweaving. Or something. Your inkle band looks a bit like vertical tablet-woven brocade. Interesting.

Lisa
www.blackwaterpark.blogs.com

12:16 PM  
Blogger curiousweaver said...

This is a great use for this interesting book. I thought I would HAVE to use tablet weaving only! Thanks for your inspiration.

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home