Friday, September 29, 2006

More Undertones

Weaving has its own color lessons, some hard-learned.

I have had this warp on the loom:

red warp



for curtains. Much red, and the combination of reds I used gave a little too *orange* a reading, for the intended use.

What to do? The weft:

red warp2



Weft choice may change the whole color reading of a fabric, for better or worse, and it is always wise to put on a few extra inches to test out several weft colors. In this case, I chose a wine red 8/2 cotton weft to tone down the reds in the warp, and tie all of the other colors together. The fabric is finished now, woven, washed, and ready to make into the curtains, soon!, but not today (more dyeing fun is on tap).

And in the undertones of life category, or it's a small world part #675:

My son Jesse called me this morning. On his way to work he heard Tracy Ullman interviewed on NPR, about her new knitting book. He thought I'd like to hear it, so I clicked on the player and listened. It is cute, has a little humor for everyone, including the ever-fearsome danger of losing ones needles to airport security. But in the small world department, the piece is put together by regular morning show host and commentator Renee Montagne.

When I was first learning to weave, Renee was a friend of a friend, working for Pacific News Service in SF. Our friend Roger introduced us, and for some un-remembered reason one evening we went to Renee's apartment, down a long dark alleyway, to brightly painted rooms.

Renee had a loom she needed to get out of her space, and I was learning to weave. We agreed to store it in our downstairs room. I can see it still: a four harness jack loom, stained a dark walnut. Renee told me I could weave on it, warped as it was with white wool yarn, but I was too intimidated; I only fondled. I later wished I had offered to buy the loom, but I didn't. Young, married and pregnant, we were planning a move, and didn't think we could take it along.

Renee left San Francisco soon after that, as did we. I think of that loom whenever I hear her voice on NPR, which has been often over the years, and wonder if she ever got back to weaving.

And the kicker, so to speak? While that loom was in my basement 30 years ago, I was pregnant with that very son who called this morning. His life has been connected to my weaving all along, for better or worse. When he hears of knitting, or sheep or weaving, he thinks of me.

Lovely circuitous world, sometimes, eh?

7 Comments:

Blogger beadlizard said...

Those curtains could transform a house into a home!

Lovely story.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The warp is just beautiful. I love the way that you put in stripes of different shades of the red, it adds a texture and complexity that I'm sure will really make this beautiful. Proves that plain weave needn't be plain at all.

12:15 PM  
Blogger vanessa said...

yes it is.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Marcy said...

Round and round we go! It's enough to make ya dizzy.

I'm having a hard time imagining you being intimidated by a loom. Har!

3:12 PM  
Blogger Dropstitchknitter said...

What a wonderful connection to your life and your weaving.

4:31 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Now THAT was a very lovely story.. thanks!

6:13 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

I wish I had your motivation!

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home