Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Hanging in There

Whew! Still puny here. Not much happening. I've not been too sick to throw a skein of silk in to dye though:

dyed silk yarn

Fabulous color, eh? (It's a rust/orange, in case your monitor is showing you something decidedly not fabulous.) I'll never get this color again, it being an a) overdye and b) dump dye (overdyed a pale salmon with a *red mix* (so labeled in my cupboard), then when I thought that might turn out too pink, I added some yellow). See? The best colors are often like that. I guess we will just consider this a gift and move on.

What have I been doing, in this whiny, sickness-induced fog? Well mounting dye samples:

dyebook page3

This will be sent off, with all it's various cohorts, to Deb, for the current edition of our dyebook.

I have managed a little bookmark weaving:

linen-wool bookmarks

These are experiments in combining linen and wool, and also supplementary and complementary pickup techniques. They gave me a grand idea for a silk band, and thus the silk dyeing. The new yarn is almost dry, and then the warping will proceed.

I've had lots of time to noodle around on the web, join email lists, and generally waste time. Curious things occur: I found someone in my local guild has been removing pictures of my work from various related websites. Mad? Passive agressive? Petty and childish behavior on their part, poor soul.

Back to the couch, I hear my spinning wheel calling.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh that yarn is yummy and the bookmarks are very cool. And how rude of that person to remove your pictures!

1:39 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Feel better faster, ok? Love the red!

4:54 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Sara, I got a copy of the book just before Christmas (a sort of preemptive present to myself) and love it. All those lovely samples -- all those tiny knots! I wondered just how boring a process it was to put the pages together, but I never thought of it as a sickroom activity. I hope you feel better soon.

7:02 PM  
Blogger claudia said...

That is really pathetic. More so, that she is acquainted with you and has done it anyway.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

The dye book is a wonderful idea! I've started a little one but want to expand it. When? No idea. So many things to do, so little time.

4:36 AM  
Blogger Abby Franquemont said...

Neat to see, to be sure. Is the white linen, and the rest silk?

We've never met, but I have yarn that I'm to ply and measure and wash and put up and send your way, one of these days... my real blog is here:

http://abbysyarns.com/wordpress/

6:06 AM  
Blogger Charleen said...

Nothing like some brightly dyed silk to perk you up! I hope you're continuing to improve.

You want me to send some of my students over to your side to talk to the picture thief? Believe me, they'll take care of her!

3:07 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

This red is much more fabulous than my red yarns! Hope you are better soon and back about. That's a drag about the photos; I like Charleen's suggestion though.

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home