Friday, January 15, 2010

Marking Time

Two airports, two planes and an unexpected layover:

cowl

becomes the Ridged Lace Cowl designed by Elinor Brown (Ravelry Link). Handspun yarns, quick to knit, easy stitch pattern to memorize. I cast on waiting for the first plane, I did not imagine that I could essentially wear it getting off the second plane! Luckily I have leftover yarn to knit on this trip (plus I brought the universal *second project just in case*).

The orange and blue yarns are my first spindle spun yarns :). I started the cowl with yarn leftover from this hat, spun by Nancy, and it is the softest of the bunch. The green is spun from my friend Stef's wool, and the (spindle spun!) orange and blue are Northern Lights from Louet ( I think Sunset and Autumn Twilight). The Northern Lights wools are not as soft as the others, but, meh, oh well.

I have enough of the yarns left over for a pair of fingerless mitts, which I will start today but make no sense whatsoever to wear here in Wisconsin (and it's warmer here this week than last.....!).

To answer a question from last post: Yes Alyclepal, that is a Cricket loom I'm using, with a 12 dent heddle. And the other cool thing? The Cricket fit in my suitcase! and I brought that project along with me :)! So next post: further adventures in spindle bag weaving.

And if I run out of yarn? Ahem. I brought my spindles too.....

2 Comments:

Blogger Alyclepal said...

Thank you so much! I'm avidly watching for spindle bag info. My husband breaks them! A close friend, a spindle maker of note, has said my dh isn't allowed to be in the house at all when I receive my next spindle:>:>:>. I'm reassessing my impression on the Cricket loom between your book and this project:>:>:>.

1:39 PM  
Blogger judy said...

Secretly, I think you crave cold snowy winters. Seems like you head to Deb's when the weather is at it's worst. Just sayin'..
Have fun. Don't work too hard.

6:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home