Sunday, November 28, 2010

Snow Flying

We raced ahead of the storms to get to Denver for Thanksgiving, and made it, mostly! We did run into some snow, but not the worst of it, and we've managed to avoid the long power outages which followed this storm at home. Thankfully, we'd drained the pipes, and a neighbor came by and emptied our freezer for us, so we dodged a bullet on all counts.

What made it imperative that we hit the road in November? Well, you asked:
marin fist nov. 2010

Some (very little) people are like magnets, and attract whole families to come and visit!

We've also been to Taos:
LaLana handspun

This is handspun wool from LaLana Wools. In my haste to pack and leave before the storm, I forgot a hat. No matter: I had yarn and needles! so I knit one out of Cascade 220 that I brought along for Christmas stocking knitting. Well, the quick-hat was done by Salt Lake City, and it has served, certainly, to ward off the cold during walks in Denver, but it is boring, not like handspun! This new yarn did not help on this trip, but I was inspired, nonetheless, to buy some beautiful yarns for future hat knitting (that's my story!).

I also bought some hand-dyed Churro singles yarn at Weaving Southwest:

wweaving southwest churro

I can't imagine wearing this scratchy stuff, but it will be perfect for knotted pile. I have several skeins of Mattgarn, also a singles, and also a coarse fiber, which will go nicely with these. Someday. This project is in the as-yet-undefined stage of gathering yarns, a bag? A rug? We shall see.

I saw lots of beautiful weaving all over the Southwest on this visit. Surely it must be inspiring to be a weaver in that part of the country, and certainly the communities seem to understand the value of weaving better than most. It's encouraging, to say the least!

4 Comments:

Anonymous lynne said...

I wish I had known you were in Denver. I would have invited you over to my studio. Perhaps the next time you visit the littlest one?

1:54 AM  
Blogger Loree Jackson said...

She's a beauty! And the yarn is lovely too :)

3:37 PM  
Blogger goatldi said...

Is she old enough for , gulp, college? What a doll!

Fiber? opps , oh , very nice too.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Isn't being a grandmother amazing? Hope you get to spend the Christmas holidays together too.

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home