Thursday, September 12, 2013

Place Marker

A quick update post as I head out the door for a weekend spinning retreat:
blog Sept 10 017

Charkha! Well I can't say I have mastered it, but whole cops have been spun without breaking, and (not much!) snarling :). I am plying the second set of cops:
blog Sept 10 020

Yes, resorted to spindle to ply. I have wound off the two cops together onto a nostpinne, and I am plying straight from that. It frees up the charkha for more spinning: I am almost out of this cotton (the brushed top from Kate Taylor) so next up is some brown cotton top from Toni Neil. No plans for this yarn, as yet, so I will just experiment with All The Cottons.

The first small skein:
blog Sept 10 011

is really a tight little cord, perfect! for a drive band. :). A lot of trouble to make string, let me tell you.

I've also been working on some handspun silk/cashmere for a scarf:
blog Sept 10 001

I've spun all the colors up, and run the warps. and as I started to put them on the loom I could not arrange them in any way that seemed pleasing and I realized: it's the colors. Too much flipping back and forth between blue-based and yellow-based colors:
blog Sept 10 003

so I tossed them in a dyepot:
blog Sept 10 005

Better! (purple dye, for the curious) Still I wanted a bit of contrast, so I plied up some of the small remaining bits on bobbins:
blog Sept 10 008

And added them in:
blog Sept 10 023

Now? Love :).

Must go pack, hop in the car and be off! Thanks for all your comments and emails about SOAR and its demise: we are indeed sad. I think Charlene said it best:

SOAR changed my life so very fundamentally, brought me people I'd never otherwise have met, fiber I'd never otherwise have bought, toys and adventures.

I do so very much hope for a Next; a Better Next is hard to imagine.


Ditto.

4 Comments:

Blogger Freyalyn said...

I always thought I'd get back to SOAR; now I never will. But I treasure the friends I made there and the memories that I have. Not to mention the few things I picked up there...

4:13 AM  
Blogger karensspinzen said...

I learned so very much about spinning from my charkha. Now, I use what I learned on my Majacraft with the stylus attachment.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Devin said...

Lovely Charkha Spinning and LOVE the overdyed warp! I hope SOAR is spectacular, I will be there in spirit, though sad I will not be there in person.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Charleen said...

Yes, the results are definitely LOVE!! Freyalyn, I had the same thoughts about finally making it to another SOAR. Maybe we can all make it to the Next!!

5:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home