Friday, May 09, 2014

Best Laid Plans

gang aft agley.

(favorite Robert Burns quote of my mother's. She is now long gone, but not forgotten, this Mother's Day weekend.Happy Mother's Day, Mom)

The latest Grand Plan started with this:
yurt yarn

Full shelves, mostly 5/2 cotton yarn I do not use much anymore, and an idea to clear space: pull out bunches of cones of similar colors, and weave Big Things. 1st up? a cotton blanket:

blanket center panel yarns

It is to be three panels, the first two here on the loom:
blanket warp

Weaving with some unknown unlabeled cotton, but red! the perfect weft:
blanket on loom

In the midst of weaving this, it occurred to me that I could use a few baby gifts, the first for a new boy (not in my family, but close friends!) so I did not weave the center blanket panel but instead ran another warp and wove the baby a new cotton blanket:
blanket 005

Two smaller panels, to be sewn up the center. Now done, washed and sewn:
image

image

and I am back to the center panel of the larger blanket, which is ready to weave: threaded and beamed:
image

This will be for our guest bed, a nice cover/lightweight summer blanket, and is simple and quick to weave: 5/2 cotton yarns, sett at 20, woven with heavier cotton weft (plain 2 ply in the bigger blanket, a cotton flake in the baby blanket). The binding is cotton fabric, rather than satin blanket binding, for these first two.

First two? Yes. The best laid plan was to use up some cones of yarn. These two used a total of 3 (!) partial cones....the shelves are still quite full. So I see more blankets in my future, and tablecloths and napkins and towels... I have 5/2 and 8/2 and 10/2 galore, time and a loom. Bounty!

More bounty? Breakfast of eggs and honey biscuits! made with grandpa Kurt's homegrown honey:
honey biscuits

Hmmm. Perhaps a big PINK! blanket should be next up :)!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Sue said...

I am so jealous when I see other weavers full stashes. One of these days! The blankets look great, of course.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

It's appalling how little yarn gets used up even in big projects. I suppose that's why we all look forward to dead weaver stash sales, vultures that we are! Those blankets are lovely, and that little charmer is definitely no longer a baby.

3:08 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

Love those blankets, esp. The red one.
You granddaughter resembles you so much! Do other people see that too?

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been doing blankets for college-bound kids. And then their friends, to keep them from borrowing the original blankets. My stash is smaller than yours, so now I don't feel so bad. :-)

6:46 AM  
Blogger Goatldi said...

Lovely . However I could have helped you out by relieving you of some of that yarn. Could have saved you some time and increased your cash flow. Nice job.

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home