Tuesday, October 03, 2017

Happy Spinning and Weaving Week!

I have been on a tear in the studio. I have things to do! Things to make! A backlog of ideas which creates a frenzy of activity which breeds more ideas! Happily, the ideas have all been things I could make while using up the stash. Well mostly. Well, OK, I bought some stuff.

But really! Fun! Things! :)

In the past few months I have been on the road more than I have been home. It was mostly just a convergence of events, some I had scheduled, and some beyond my control. So...I have been gone.

Being away from the studio does not mean I had no projects at hand...they were just handwork though, spindles, knitting, some small weaving. Sanity was preserved by these small things, but ...I missed my loom! I missed my spinning wheels! There was very little leather stabbing.

All's well now.

In the many weeks of travel, I also read. I was sent this new book:

Liz's book

It is always fun to read a weaving book (for me) and when the book is full of surprises, more fun! While Liz has written this as a series of projects for the home, and for the rigid heddle loom, the information presented and the projects would make an excellent workbook for any beginning weaver.

There is information about yarns: cotton, wools, linen, hemp and synthetics, yarn choices, setts, many weaving tips and tons of close up photos of the weaving process. Throughout the book are tips on choosing colors, fixing mistakes, and finishing options. A longtime weaver herself, Liz uses common weaving terms, and defines them, so the new weaver is introduced to the jargon she will need when consulting other weavers or weaving books. The projects are practical and beautiful, something any weaver would be proud to use and give.

The last chapter is an in depth discussion, with many photos, of warping the rigid heddle loom in several ways. The process is easily mastered with a RH loom, and all the learning is transferable should one wish to progress to a table or floor loom at any time.

The RH loom is a fabulous entry-level learning tool, takes up much less space than most table looms, or a small floor loom, and is also usually fold-able or easily stored away. An RH loom is quiet enough to be used in a room with other people, without interfering with movies or music, or the sound of the surf on the sands! I resisted using RH looms for a long time, and now, especially this summer, I am so glad I was able to use a Cricket loom while away from home. I did not have to stop weaving, just because I was traveling.

So, grab the book, if you can, and "ta-da!" I have this copy to give away! Just leave a comment that you'd like to receive it, and if two of you reply, I'll flip a coin! If more than two reply, we'll use a random number generator. Be sure to leave me contact info if case you win!





17 Comments:

Blogger jeekeehoo said...

I teach RH weaving and would love your book!!

12:09 PM  
Blogger Elaine said...

Would absolutely love this book. Thank you.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Freyalyn said...

Waving from across pond - I'd like it too! I'd pay postage!

3:08 PM  
Anonymous tallfran said...

I'd love this book. I haven't used my rigid heddle loom much since starting with floor looms, but it would have been so nice to have it on a recent 3-week road trip, where there wasn't room for my bulky floor loom. Warping the RH was always my downfall because I never learned correctly in the first place.

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Janice said...

As a novice, I would love to have your book to help me progress. Thanks for the opportunity!

4:27 PM  
Blogger Jekka said...

This book looks like fun and might be helpful for unleashing my kid on my rigid heddle

6:26 PM  
Blogger Magpiedyestudio said...

How generous! This would be a fabulous item for our local guild library!! We've so many new RH weavers!

7:02 PM  
Blogger Nicole Acuna said...

I love this book! It would be perfect to help me expand my knitting skills :)

7:21 PM  
Anonymous bethini said...

Shout out from down under! I'd love this book to help me figure out my first weaving steps!

7:25 PM  
Blogger dana said...

Oh, yes! I have a RH loom that hasn't seen a lot of use, and I'd love some ideas and tips for using it!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Goatldi said...

My first weaving experience was with a RH purchased for me in 1972 by DH at a hobby shop. Thanks for the review as this book caught my eye and I was curious.

If you need me I can be found at my blog. Best of luck to all!

8:28 AM  
Blogger Janna said...

I have that book on my wish list and have a 24" RH I keep meaning to do more with. This looks like a great resource!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Tobie said...

I would love that book too-I am down sizing and getting rid of harness looms and going back to RH! Weaving is weaving!

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Marjorie M. said...

I have a RH loom and would love to have this book. Portability is key for me.

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Jen said...

I'd love this book. I've been wanting to learn how to weave for a while now--maybe this winter I'll be able to devote the time to it.

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Carol Chitko-McKown said...

I'm a new weaver and would love to build up my library of weaving books! Thank you :)

9:07 AM  
Blogger Agriculture said...

well written! Also see my site. farm fresh to you Here you find different types and variety of farming and new agriculture techniques.

4:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home