Tuesday, November 03, 2009

The Gift That is SOAR

gifts2

There are a lot of gifts about coming to SpinOff Autumn Retreat. The most obvious is the friendship of like-minded people, learning from and teaching each other. There are formal classes, of course, but much is learned informally, over lunch, in the hallways or lobby while sitting among other spinners, and we also learn about different areas of the country as the conference travels around.

There are tangible gifts from friends and associates too: a beautiful crocheted doily from Lotto, a wool silk blend and some soap from Shirley and Peggy at Lambspun, Chopsticks Of Vacuum from Michael, a Lantern Moon basket from Michelle Coburn, calendar and a fair trade woven bag from Interweave, the sponsors of the event, and soap from friends who borrowed wheels and tools.

We all love gifts, the tangible and the not so much. What we are not so thrilled about is the gift of the SOAR cold: fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, loss of voice (a hint?) and general malaise. Thanks. Thanks to whomever, I will try not to devolve into whining.

But I am sorely tempted. Waaaaaaaaaah!

Homeward bound today, after a few lovely Fall days in Oregon, visiting the town of Sisters and the High Desert Museum. We had the Sage Springs Spa to ourselves every afternoon for a very welcome jacuzzi and steam bath, which did ease the discomfort of the cold.

It should be a glorious drive, and I have my tissues. Wah.

10 Comments:

Blogger weavinfool said...

I guess we won't be seeing you at knit night tomorrow. Be better by Saturday -- you are having a reception for your book!

Lindseyshlyco

7:06 AM  
Blogger Delighted Hands said...

Glad that the weekend at SOAR was wonderful even if you do have an unplanned souvenoir (sniffle, sniffle)!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Phiala said...

Sounds lovely, except for the extra acquisition. Some year I'll make it. I did just get the Complex Weavers Seminar brochure with my class in it, though!

11:33 AM  
Blogger Abby Franquemont said...

I love the SOAR plague. It's the best thing ever.

I guess I should be glad I had it early and it's over now. Now I'm just fatigued.

2:31 PM  
Blogger cmtigger said...

That illness sounds like what I was getting over at the Celtic festival (I think that you may have had H1N1 going around there!). Be careful with changing elevation- I think that's why I got that headache.

Someday I'll make it to SOAR.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Malarky Crafts said...

Noooo, you got it too, that stinks. Hope you feel better soon. Great seeing you again!

7:31 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

It was lovely seeing you. I'm sorry you got the cold. Get well!

8:26 AM  
Blogger amyfibre said...

well, that sucks! The cold, I mean. I might be getting it, but am in denial....and Carolyn, poor girl, has it already. SOAR -- the gift that just keeps on giving.

Regardless, it was fabulous to see you. Am still mulling over bits and pieces of your talk too. Thanks for the inspiration.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Charlene said...

Oh I can't believe it - you didn't escape? I'm wondering if my first ever flu shot since the Hong Kong Flu shot with oversized syringe freaked me out at age 14 protected me. Whatever it was, so far I've escaped.

I had a great time in your class, and am sorry I didn't have a few extra days to chill...

Until next year!

11:41 AM  
Blogger Rhonda Wilson said...

Loved seeing you and Deb, just sorry to hear you caught the crud too!

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home