Friday, May 12, 2006

Still Working

Amidst all this ruminating, weaving is still going on:

silk fabric rolled

The silk wedding fabric is done. This is 3 yards for a shawl, and another 5 yards for two vests. Half of the five yard piece needs to be dyed black, then I am taking them to be steam pressed. I have a mangle, one of those old '50's home ironing jobs, but it is buried in storage. The local laundry will be pressed (heh) into service instead of digging out the mangle, setting it up and finding a long extension cord.

The detail shot:

silk wedding fabric detail

Hard to capture, but there is a bit of variation to the plain weave. This is 30's/2 spun silk sett at 48, with 20's/2 silk sett random in the warp. The 20's/2 gives a lovely variation in the surface shine, just enough to know *something* is going on, it's not just plain fabric (but maybe this effect is only in my imagination, because who wants to go through the trouble, if it doesn't show?).

A sexy slinky shot:

silk wedding fabric

And the ends:

silk wedding fabric 3

to give you an idea of just how much fabric I ironed yesterday!

All white, all the time. Perhaps not so inspiring, after all this talk the last few posts, just real, beautiful fabric. That I made myself. For people I love.

5 Comments:

Blogger Charleen said...

You're not the only one that sees it! The 20's/2 gives it that little spark. Congratulations on your beautiful work and the upcoming nuptials.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

It's just lovely. Exquisite in its purity...

1:13 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

wow...look at those selveges!! Beautiful! I can almost smell the silk when I look at the slinky picture. I love the smell of warm silk.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

What incredible work! I am always impressed with your abilities.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Milinda said...

Now that is amazing and inspiring all in one fell swoop. Just gorgeous.

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home