Friday, June 30, 2006

Quick Fix

Oddly enough, given recent warm temperatures around here, it is cool in the studio of a morning. Yesterday, I tossed on the new shawl and tried to get down to work, and found it falling off, falling into things and generally being annoying.

So I made a shawl pin to hold it all together:

shawl pin

Construction notes: copper wire, probably 14 ga., annealed, and bent into S-shape (also useful as a jewelry clasp), then a spiral-twisted stickpin to hold it. All hammered, to work harden the wire, then the ends filed and sanded, so they won't catch on the yarn.

Then, I got right back to work. We're closing in, seeing the finish line.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sydney Harper said...

That's just too cool! Here I've been wanting to make a shawl pin but it never occurred to me to use copper wire. I even have some copper wire around here somewhere.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Leigh said...

Very clever! Thanks for sharing.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Dropstitchknitter said...

great minds must thing alike - I've made a few of those myself and have a few in my Etsy shop - great pin!

5:01 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Well, aren't you just the clever one?! Next trick will be adding beads to the wire before bending and shaping... way cool. Happy 4th weekend to you.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Wood 'n' Soul said...

I see you were inspired by my wife!

http://www.designsbyromi.com/pages/elsellsheet1.htm

She inspires me, as well.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is one beautiful shawl pin!!!

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home