Friday, June 16, 2006

All Color, All the Time (Or Not)

Things can get a little peripatetic around here, when there is much to do. I'm still dyeing samples:

samples5

And more samples:

samples4

All this dyeing means watching pots, so in the interim, I painted a warp:

copper warps2

This is one of my favorite colors (90 gold, 10 violet for those of you who might want a strong copper). I'm leaving some blank white spaces:

copper warps3

This is Cibacron F dye, which does not wick nearly as much as MX. It may wick some as it dries, and you'll notice I was too lazy to tie off and resist those areas. We'll see.

Also while watching pots, I can spin a bit:

grafton fibers yarn

Sorry, no dime shot. These are fingering wieght, 3 ply. The skeins are from Grafton Fibers wool (see this post). You might notice the purple skein is bigger. That was the first batt I spun, and I divided it to spin a two ply. I decided mid-spin that I wanted a three ply, for knitting, so I needed to come up with something for the third element. I used some blue from the Morro Bay roving, from this post. The other two GF batts were divided into three sections, thus the smaller skeins.

I decided this wool would be very nice for mittens, gloves, or fingerless gloves, and once I lined the skeins all up, of course, I needed more colors(!), so I have placed an order. I'll have enough yarns for several gloves, mittens, whatever, but hey, who has enough yarn? I'm quite sure I can think of something to do with it.

After the dyeing, I can focus on the not-so-colorful:

hemstitching

The silk shawl, hemstitched. And:

hemstitching with beads

The silk shawl hemstitched and now in the process being beaded. You'll notice the white cloth under the shawl? Trying to keep this white fabric white is a challenge, in my *looks like a tornado came through* studio.

Housecleaning, and responses: the group KIP Day photos from the last post were taken by Ginger, not me. I neglected to give her credit. And Marie? no snap yet, I'm using the other bag for a while. Birdsong? I'm still winding around the shawl on the edging: not finished yet! And Charleen? No, I can't talk, drink and knit at the same time! and Kim? You're right. The interlude was intentional! That's it, intentional.

6 Comments:

Blogger Marie said...

The shawl is stunning! I was going to be funny and tell you to "snap to it", but decided it wasn't so funny so I won't say it.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Charleen said...

Good one, Marie! Like when I tell the OM it's not worth mentioning - then I do :-)

Sara, the shawl is gorgeous. Did you pull threads or put filler in to skip over the spaces? Or was it done on the loom? Whatever the technique I love embellishment.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Leigh said...

What yummy colors. And the beading on the shawl's hemstitching is the perfect touch.

11:18 AM  
Blogger claudia said...

Ooooo....90 G, 10 V! I'm keeping that in mind.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

Lovely shawl! Gorgeous skeins! And thanks for the copper recipe.

5:44 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

The beads really add a lot to that edging; I can empathize with keeping white clean, especially in our red clay belt of the foothills.

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home