Saturday, July 08, 2006

And Now for the Fun Stuff

After the shawl and the vests were done, there was leftover silk fabric. That allowed me to make a few small gifts, starting with sachets for the bridesmaids. First we dyed the fabric:

sachet fabrics

This photo shows the black silk vest fabric as background, the silk fabric and two lining fabrics dyed red. The bridesmaids are wearing red/raspberry/cranberry, I'm not exactly sure what shade of red, so I chose this one, because it matched the ribbon I could find.

The sachets are sewn with a top layer of the handwoven silk, then two layers of lining: the plain lining inside, so the lavender flowers won't poke through, and the figured silk as the back. The figured silk was also the back of the white vest, and it is a particularly open weave, so it needed the lining:

sachets

Here is the finished pile of sachets, all neatly tied up with a bow. They each got a little gift bag:

sachet bag

and they were on their way to the bride, to give to her attendants.

And the weather for the wedding day? Rain. Heh.

7 Comments:

Blogger Charleen said...

The sachets are adorable. Did you make the gift bags too?

Hopefully the weather cooperated and the wedding went off without a hitch. Rain is supposed to be good luck, but nobody wants a downpour!

12:25 PM  
Blogger judy said...

No, I don't believe it. Whatever the weather, I'm sure it'll be beautiful. Pictures, please. You thought of everything.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Angi said...

The sachets are a great gift! Blessings on the couple!

1:27 AM  
Blogger claudia said...

Don't make me beg for pictures.

That isn't seemly.

:)

11:00 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

What a nice, fun finish to all this work. I hope the wedding went off wonderfully.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Jackie said...

How thoughtful!

6:16 AM  
Blogger historicstitcher said...

Absolutely gorgeous! The same beautiful silk, watching it grow on the loom, and all the different incarnations of the finished fabric. Some days I wish we could reach through and touch the pictures!

I've been lurking for a while now, and been enjoying your gorgeous creations. I'm so thoroughly impressed by your attention to detail, your level of care, I just had to write.

I have a project I'm getting started over at [http://www.historicstitcher.blogspot.com]. It's a bit much to explain here, but it has to do with history, fiber, and our obsessions with them. As you appear to be one of us, I hope you'll consider participating, and if you have questions, please ask. I realize you're quite busy, but I hope you'll take the time to read the post on my blog and think about it. Your experience would be so valuable to the project.

I've posted a comment, rather than email directly, as I'm hoping that like-minded others will also find their way over.

Thanks!
Erika

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home