Thursday, January 28, 2010

Supposed Friday Post

I've been spinning more silk on my spindle:
one skein (#2) of spindle silk

This is another 160 yds or so of two ply for knitting. Here are both skeins:

two skeins of spindle silk

The silk top is small bundles dyed several colors:
silk to spin

My original thought was to organize the bundles in some sort of fashion, either darkest to lightest or by predominant color. But I am actually just reaching into the bag and pulling out a lump to spin, so the colors will end up quite random and blended. All of the top has areas of white, which tends to soften the colors anyay.

The knitted scarf will be dyed and painted, like these:
flaming peacock cropped

Flaming Peacock, blogged here, or the Falling Leaves painted silk version:

silk shawl

I'm knitting the prototype, Ballet Lace scarf: (Ravelry link)
ballet lace scarf1

I think this will be fun to paint, and the underlying variegated yarns will make the painting interesting. At least that is what I hope :). Otherwise, the spinning and knitting are a perfectly good way to spend my travel downtime, and if the project is successful, that is icing on the proverbial cake.

The blog post title? Tomorrow is knitting. I get lots of grief from my knitting cohorts if I haven't posted recently. I have taken to posting Friday mornings just before leaving for knitting, so when the verbal abuse begins, I can innocently ::blink, blink:: and just ask them if they did not see *this morning's post*. Patricia has taken to actually leaving late so she could check the blog and say she'd seen it.

So I had to up the ante. What she (and Lindsey) don't know is whether I will post again tomorrow.

:)

10 Comments:

Blogger Valerie said...

In your last post I was going to comment that those colors you were spindling were unusual for you. so...aha...you're going to paint them! It will be fun to see what they become.

(My verification word is "arite"...so I guess you'll use dyes to set things "arite")

11:55 AM  
Blogger Deanna said...

Your spindlespun silk is just gorgeous!

Most of us are thankful whenever you post. :-)

3:25 PM  
Blogger Delighted Hands said...

I will have to try silk spinning again.....I couldn't get is that thin when I tried a few years ago. It looks so tempting...

5:17 PM  
Blogger Patricia said...

And it's only 7:15!!!!!!

I want that purple yarn. Why don't you just bring it to me this morning.
ooooo, P.

7:16 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

I like the idea of painting after spinning and am so looking forward to Sunday! I can pick your brain and come up with ways to use all the undyed items languishing in my stash.

11:01 AM  
Blogger weavinfool said...

The skeins are beautiful! And soooo large in the photos, and so much smaller in person. It reminds me of the time my father showed some slides and one of them was a close-up of a rose blossom. He was very proud of the large roses he grew. It was shown on a big projection screen and he said "Would you just look at the size of that rose" and we said 'yeah, it must be at least 3 feet across.' Scale means everything. : )

8:21 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I'm still stuck on Falling Leaf - it has become an addition. There's so much it can become, like the socks that are on my feet at this very minuet - ha.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

The silk to lovely! I feel inspired to try silk again.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I love your silk, I love spinning, I'm a silk junky. Your photos aren't helping me at all to kick the habit!

Beautiful work.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dyeing the woven scarf sound very nice and interesting.It would also look very designer and nice.

charity

3:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home