Friday, July 01, 2016

Maiden Voyage

So the newest leather bag went on a trip:

Travel bag

Apparently I have a standard for "what makes a good bag". I'm guessing we all do, but here's mine: open pocket in the front (may have a magnetic closure). Zipped pocket along the back, zipped top, open pocket inside (and now I will add also a zipped pocket inside...ahem), adjustable strap, and zippers all opening the correct way for a right hander to be carrying the bag on her right shoulder (i.e. from the front, to the back, in that orientation).

This bag met all the requirements except two: I wanted another zipped pocket inside for essentials but not essentials that need quick access. Also: the very last piece sewn in was sewn in backwards... ::sigh:: ... so that the zip opens the wrong way. It opens the way a person who carries their bag on their left should would want.

In my defence? It was one of those pieces that is sewn on inside out and backwards, then turned, and, much to my chagrin, I apparently messed up on the visualization of how this would all work right side out. Darn! So, I carried it on my left side. Huh. A little odd, but doable. Easy fix!

But :)! It's a comfortable size, not too heavy, much more was learned about stitching and construction and leather and and and. I have a fully lined handstitched bag about 11" x 13" with a front pocket big enough to hold a book, my phone and glasses, an outside zip pocket for my boarding pass and ID, and a center section capacious enough for tablet, headphones, and other travel essentials.

And! I like it! The pile on the pocket is Gila National Monument (to me, not literally), so it's also a memento of a trip to the Southwest. Go Me!

What trip did I take? A short jaunt to see some munchkins:

Slide!

So we played and swam and climbed and slid!

Climbing

Climber2

Sometimes, playing in the dirt is just the best thing. Therapy for child and Grandma both :).

4 Comments:

Blogger Goatldi said...

Nice work! Your leather work fascinates me but not enough to do but rather admire yours. The grands have certainly grown they do that don't they? My youngest will be joining us next week for a few days. Miss. Genna is 10 going on 42 so past the dirt stage. She will be trying her hand on the loom for the first time. But I envy you I do miss the days in the sandbox.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Deanna said...

Very cool! Maybe sew in some snaps for a snap-in zippered pocket? And the good thing about one zipper in the opposite direction is that pocket can hold something important that you are less likely to need access to, differentiating it from the other pockets. Yeah, I know that is rationalization. :-) Still, awesome bag! And it is amazing how quickly those grandkids are growing!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Charleen said...

What a gorgeous bag, Sara!! I have a list of requirements for my bags as well but they're not anything like your creations.

Your grandchildren are beautiful and growing like weeds! I just had two of mine here for six days. So much fun (and slightly exhausting).

9:48 AM  
Blogger Freyalyn said...

Gorgeous bag, lovely photos. Doesn't everyone carry their bags on their left shoulder? I always have.

1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home