Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Gift Bags

The fabric from this post is done, and another narrow warp from the same (ancient) batch was warped and woven:

gift bag strap

This year, the favorite gifts I'm making are gift bags:

gift bags 2007

Each bag is is filled with a selection of local products, mostly edible, some very unique. We all seem to have too much stuff anyway, but everyone eats!

There is a variety of foodstuff grown or made here in the foothills: chocolates, mustard and pepper jelly, wines, and wines and wines, coffee (well roasted here, but not grown here), olive oil, and local baked goods.

Of course, inside the bag there are a few other handmade surprises, including this years' hand towel incarnation:

towels2 2007

And then there's the bag:

gift bag 2007

Who can't use one more? Everyone needs a project bag, or a bag to hang on the coat-rack for mittens, or a small market bag for those delicate things you don't want smashed under all the other produce at the Farmer's Market. These are made to be sturdy workhorse bags, and will stand up to much wear and tear.

Planning what to put in the bags for each recipient has been a good part of the fun for me with this gift. I thought of each person as I was weaving, and custom filled each bag with things I thought they would like. I had so much fun in the process I know I will do this again, looking for more local products and planning a new version of the gift bag.

15 Comments:

Blogger woolydaisy said...

wow! what awesomely wonderful thoughtful gifts!!!!!! you rock sara!

7:48 AM  
Blogger historicstitcher said...

Thanks for sharing your great idea! I might just have to do my own version of that next year! This year I started in August, and have woven almost 20 dish towels to go with wine I made myself. I plan to wrap the towel around the wine and tie it with a ribbon. Voila! No paper to throw away! Edible and useable, all in one.

You've been an amazing inspiration and help to this new weaver, from helping me choose and find a used loom, to sharing your fabulous projects and ideas to inspire my own! Thank you!!

I don't know if I would have tackled a 20-yard warp for my first "real" project without online folks like you...

8:05 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

What a treasure to give and receive. I am sure some of those bags will be heirlooms.

8:07 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

What thoughtful gifts and lucky friends! Great idea......now to remember the idea.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Hey Sara, Is there any chance you have one extra towel for my towel exchange? Send me a towel, and I will send you a towel. I am working on ikat towels and will be doing an ikat towel workshop in January on Whidbey Island (commuting distance for me). Even though your yummy beautiful towels are not actually ikat, they are in the same vein and close enough for me. I love the bags, the idea, the contents, and YOU!

9:08 AM  
Blogger DEEP END OF THE LOOM said...

I love your bag idea, I might "try" to do this for Mother's day, with maybe beach items, towels, suntan lotion.... Oh! you see now I can't stop thinking!! Your a total wonderful enabler.. Love the colors of the final fabrics.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Leigh said...

I'm sold. Of course, I love bags and yours are exceptional.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Purple Fuzzy Mittens said...

The lucky recipients will be oh so happy! The bags are beautiful.

12:26 PM  
Blogger fibergal said...

Tell us more about your great bags. I don't know which I like better, the bags or the towels. Is the warp very heavy for the bags?

5:45 PM  
Blogger Anne P said...

Those are beautiful bags! I would be happy with one of those just empty, even without the wine or chocolate. :)

5:41 AM  
Blogger Charlene said...

Now how exactly does one get onto your gift list?

6:18 AM  
Blogger ddknits said...

They are all so beautiful. I'm so jealous of those lucky folks on your gift list.
Debra

12:27 PM  
Blogger claudia said...

And, you need not set foot in a Mall. Nice.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Etha said...

I adore your gift bags!! What a wonderful thing to do and a great idea :)

9:01 AM  
Blogger Fran Pike said...

What a beautiful bag! Would you consider showing us how you make them? I am a new weaver too.

5:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home