Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Everything Furthers


Sometimes even small steps toward a goal mean real progress. Years of making things means years of accumulated supplies, leftovers, finished projects and just stuff.

There can be too much of a good thing. Feeling a little overwhelmed by the collection in the studio, I set up an Etsy shop this week to manage some of the accumulation. So far I have sold some packets of handwoven fabrics.

There will be more fabric, some beads, buttons and all kinds of vintage sewing stuff, which I used to collect but now seems to need a new home.

I also have some finished bags to list (Sunset bag, above, among them), and a few that were made for The Book. I have several that are handspun silk, kind of hard to make that choice to let them go, but really, something has got to give!

I used to have most of the bags on display in a glass case in my living room. I keep making more. They outgrew that venue. I need to thin the herd.

The second part of creativity is letting go. Wish me luck.

6 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

Sara, wow - your bags are so beautiful. Makes me want to keep practicing small works in addition to weaving larger pieces.

Your color sense and embellishment style is fabulous

2:54 PM  
Blogger Caroline M said...

Sometimes you have to clear out the product to feel good about making more. I suppose that depends whether you are process or product focussed but for me the end product is something that needs to leave the house. When I see it and determine how it measured up to my plan then I'm done with it.

I hope you enjoy encouraging your creations to leave home and find new lives.

11:49 AM  
Blogger wheatgerm said...

that's quite a piece of work

4:10 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

Luck :-)

But you shouldn't need much of it for this - however beautiful the thing is, you know you made it, and can make more and different but equally beautiful.

In the interim, I am NOT LOOKING at Etsy. At least not again. It took ages to get the drool out of the keyboard!

6:35 AM  
Blogger Marcy said...

Omibob! You're on Etsy! :O

4:13 AM  
Blogger Amelia of Ask The Bellwether said...

I find letting go, or clearing out, is very helpful in making room for new things to be created. I know that this week -- our local spring break week -- I'm busily gathering up the things I need to send to new homes so I can have more room to create in my mind and my studio!

Congrats on the success of your etsy-driven clear-out.

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home