Saturday, February 23, 2008

Next Time I Get A Red Cat

Brrrrrr. Cold and grey out there. I've been knitting a Great Grey Slog for many months, on this:

grey blanket small

the cat blanket,to match the cat:

mojo sleeps2

He seems to leave grey cat hair on every knitted object, so I made him one of his own, from handspun Coopworth from Sue's flock up the street. I *designed* the pattern, if you can call it that. It's really just plugging in pattern shapes where they will fit. I started with the cat paws part, then added snakes:

grey field small

because some un-named rascal likes to hunt them and bring them inside for all to enjoy. Next, there are bushes:

grey tree small

in which the snakes and mice hide, followed by a border of mice, which were not as successful as I'd have liked. But I really like the cat prints creeping around the edge:

grey edging small

I couldn't find an edging pattern with cat prints on it, so I made one up. I botched the corners of the edging, which I just slogged around, in keeping with the greyness and slogginess of the project. I will rethink "corners" next time, but not on this grey slog of a blanket. Stick a fork in it, it's done.

You know the end of this story as surely as I do: he will probably eschew *his* personal blanket, and continue to leave an ethereal grey dusting of cat hair over all my other blankets, strategically placed in apparently every cat-friendly spot in the house.

This is up next, for some sort of lace shawl or scarf, it's Polwarth:

Polwarth Feb 2008 small

Can you tell I've been denied color? I was inspired by some Mountain Colors yarn, a new series that is two separate colors in the singles, plied together. It's easy for a spinner to do that, but quite confusingly odd to find it in commercial yarns. The Mountain Colors yarn is making it's debut at Stitches West this weekend, but we saw a preview while Dee worked up a sample pattern.

The red, orange and gold colors are all sunshine and warmth, and cheer a winter weary heart. Last year we had a Mexican trip to break up the long grey winter, not so this year. But next year, we're leaving winter behind, and following the summer. Hooray!

10 Comments:

Blogger claudia said...

No. 1 thought: dye the cat red. I'm sure it wouldn't mind. ;-)

No. 2 thought: do you need someone to carry your bags/be your personal assistant next winter? No harm in asking!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Tasmania, eh? Holy macaroni, girl! You do get around, don't you?
The cat blanket is lovely and obviously well thought out with snakes, paws and bushes. And here I thought they were trees. Why can't Kitty have a red blanket? I guess it's Kitty Camouflage.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Spindlers2 said...

*Have you told Helen yet???* Her sister lives in Tasmania.

Now to the important stuff - a truly distinguished blanket for a very distinguished cat. I see he has you completely under the paw. I'n in real trouble now....

1:17 PM  
Blogger Swanknitter said...

Is he Burmese? I have a similar problem with a similar cat but she seems to prefer to sleep in high places or with me. If you pass thru Canberra on your way to Tassie, drop in.

11:35 PM  
Blogger Leigh said...

The cat blanket is wonderful! Beautifully done. I hope Mojo appreciates it :) And I love the Polwarth. Such cheerful colors for such gray days.

12:27 PM  
Blogger judy said...

Congratulations! I am SOoo jealous. What fun that will be.
Love the shawl, cat sentiments and all. My little black Sammy cat brings his live snake inside. The great gift.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Sara, I'm enjoying your blog entries immensely!

Getting a red cat won't solve your problem as they don't shed "red" hairs!! I should know 'cause my red cat (an "abby") is all over everything!!

Wishing I had what it takes to color the way you do :)

11:23 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

How do you keep him from clawing it into a tangled mat?? Charlie would love one, just to exercise his claws on. I hurt thinking about it. Love the color - need to get some soon!

4:57 PM  
Blogger woolydaisy said...

i wish i was your cat

1:55 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

The blanket looks wonderful! And you are probably right. He will lay his little cat self every where BUT on his blanket.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home