Friday, December 21, 2007

Back By Popular Demand

OK: Bag instructions.

Start with piece of fabric:

bag1

Iron on piece of interfacing. I don't know the name of this stuff, but it is non-woven. I went to the local fabric shop and asked for *heavy* interfacing:

bag2

(Note to self: in the future, cut straight if you plan to put pictures up for all the world to see)

Step three: cut lining, and sew to edges with zig-zag (also re-read the cut straight note):

bag3

(sorry for the blurry photo too, sheesh)

Step next, fold this sandwich in half, and sew the side seams (5/8" seams):

bag4

Press open seams:

bag5

Fold corners into a triangle, and stitch across (helps to have lining fabric with stripes, a built in stitching line). This corner seam is about 2" from the corner:

bag6

Trim corners off and zig-zag the raw edges:

bag7

Cut narrow fabric in half lengthwise for handles:

bag8

Fold the raw edge under, the selvedge edge over, and stitch down several times:

bag9

Fold top of bag over twice, tuck handles in and stitch several rows to hold top firmly. Then fold handles up and stitch in place:

bag10

Fill and enjoy:

gift bags 2007

Note to self the third: try to stitch the handles on so the seam is on the underside when one picks the bag up. Sheesh. Two out of three stitched upside down. Luckily, I am giving them to good friends who will tease me about this failing forever :)

10 Comments:

Blogger Deanna said...

Handles stitched that way put the smooth side on your hand. Yeah, that's the ticket. :-)

I don't think your lucky recipients would dare tease you, for fear of being bumped off the list.

Wonderful bags! Wonderful gifts!

7:59 AM  
Blogger Louisa said...

How do I get on your gift list, Sara? I was just complaining about the fact that nobody brings their own shopping bags and instead depends on the stores to provide yukky plastic ones. If everyone had such nice bags as yours, you sure wouldn't want to use anything else!

11:33 AM  
Blogger Charleen said...

Beautiful bags! That's a gift that can be enjoyed in the present and the future. Hmm, do I hear Marley's ghost knocking?

1:39 PM  
Blogger Angi said...

What great gifts! Hot Pokers to those who would tease you!
Blessings.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I'm closing my eyes - I don't want to be tempted to make one because, if it's like the last bag I made because you did, I'll be doomed. I'm still knitting felted bags because there's always a different way that different sheep felt when knitted and all the color options and what happens when you use different breeds together. I'm still stuck with *that* bag. I know that if I take the scarves that I've woven and don't like and start following your instructions, I'll have yet another obsession and then I'd have to give up sleeping because I still have to work. "I can't hear you, la, la, la" doesn't work since I'm not ignoring what I can see. Oh dear~

8:45 PM  
Blogger RattleFox said...

Thanks for posting the bag directions, you make it seem easy enough I *have* to make some RIGHT NOW. As for the not-straight cutting, you should market it as a feature of how easy the bags are to make -- "Even if you can't cut a straight line you can still make this great bag"

7:58 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Hi Sara,
I love this post. I can't wait to try it out. Also congrats on your podcast. I am on the road and unable to hear it, but it will be the first thing I do when I get home.

I was thinking about you yesterday when I was at the DeYoung exhibit For Tent and Trade: Masterpieces of Turkman Weaving. Be sure to see it if you can make it into SF in the next month.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Susan Prince said...

I raced to my bag to see if I got one of the "special" bags. Nope, you sewed the handles so the smooth side is on the outside when I pick up the bag. So ... I don't get to tease you. Must look for another teaseworthy topic.

The bag is getting many compliments. "Your friend MADE that?" "Oh, that's beautiful!" Stuff like that.

Many thanks, Sara.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Leigh said...

Excellent tutorial, Sara. Thanks!

6:10 AM  
Blogger Marlene said...

I'm having fun lately using a rigid heddle loom (though I have an under-used 8-shaft table loom). I've been pondering the idea of making myself a few shopping bags. Yours look great!

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home