Saturday, December 29, 2007

New Beginnings

It starts on the solstice, the turning of the year. The days begin to lengthen, but the nights are still long and cold:

fire 2

Lindsey had a solstice bonfire this year. We ate and laughed and burned the dark night away. Old things need to be cleared out, so I took the opportunity to burn a few things in the flames.

There was still the crowded run-up to Christmas, busyness, cooking, shopping, travel, clearing up and preparing for visitors. But the day comes and goes, and then the twelve days begin, the quiet time between Christmas and Twelfth Night.

Time for reflection, clearing out, planning, setting up. I have been re-arranging the studio, getting rid of things unnecessary, clearing away for a big project on the horizon.

In the past, I have used New Year's Day as a day to clean up, clear out and set up my studio. This year, friends will come. They will keep me on track, help me decide, and eat and laugh at the same time.

The dark of winter is a lovely time, a chance to reflect, to plan and to prepare. It sets the tone for the year ahead. It helps me to write things down, I remember them better. It's always a surprise to look back on last year's list, and see how much has been accomplished. Then it needs to be burned, and a new list begun.

A new year, new beginnings, a new plan, in a new light.

Happy New Year!

10 Comments:

Blogger claudia said...

Nice picture.

Happy New Year right back atcha.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Spindlers2 said...

Happy New Year!

1:28 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

That's a wonderful bit of year-end contemplation you've given me. A new plan is exactly what I need.

Happy New Year, Sara!

1:36 PM  
Blogger woolydaisy said...

here in california the dark of winter is my favorite time of year.(it wasn't so when i lived in minnesota for 8 years-ha!) happy new year sara and thanks for all you do for us in the fiber community.

4:32 PM  
Blogger judy said...

Good advice, Happy New Year!

8:55 PM  
Blogger DebbieB said...

Happy, Healthy, Peaceful New Year, Sara.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Lovely traditions and reflections... this fortnight after the Winter Solstice is a great and precious time to me for much the same reason... the Spindling Scot just told me there is an old tradition to wait until Epiphany to start new projects and I am holding that thought and trying to clear up old ones. Happy New Year!

7:09 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I am reminded of chiariscuro in oil paintings, especially Rembrandt. It's the use of dark that makes the small amount of light color so effective. The dark of winter is an important. Remind me that I said that - oh, about sometime in February.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Bess said...

I too love the beautiful closed in time of winter. We cross fingers every winter in hopes of some snow, as if we were 9 years old and didn't want to do our homework. The snuggle down time of winter is a perfect time to try out new things, explore inside ourselves.

Thanks for sharing your lovely photos.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Jackie said...

Happy New Year! It is a great idea to clean out your studio, and to have friends help! I hope that it was a success!

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home