Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Spindle Camp II

This weekend! We are away! Camping! With spindles (and wheels and needles and potluck suppers and pop-up tents) and a campfire! The weather should be grand (raining now, but supposed to stop and we are counting on the weatherman being right this time!).

Last year was Spindle Camp the First. Guild member Jan took on the challenge of organizing us, setting the date, contacting the campground, getting everyone to pony-up for the camping fees. We all showed up with tents and campers, good food and spindles, and the rest, as they say, is history.

We had such fun that we agreed to do it again: the second annual Inter-mountain Spindle Camp for the Foothill Fibers Guild and the Reno Fiber Guild starts tomorrow.

I have been soooooooo looking forward to it: days of just spinning (a little knitting, and maybe a stroll or two), sharing good food with friends, and long relaxing campfire conversations. I love the smell of woodsmoke, especially when it permeates my camp-clothes.

No one is In Charge. We'll have a table or two of fiber-white-elephant or studio-clean-out sale stuff, plus this year, Susan organized Door Prizes: A Golding spindle! Fiber from Lisa Souza! and Miss Babs!

I actually have new spindles for the event:
spindles 002

I was going to wait to try them out at Camp, but, alas, who can resist? Obviously, not me. And, um, I like pairs. This is two Goldings, and two from a NZ spindle maker, Sourkraut. All are fabulous spinners!

CNCH last weekend in Sutter Creek was grand: well organized, pleasant people all around, everyone seemed happy to be there and helpful. Class went well, better than expected really because the time was so short. We had a very beautiful workroom: lots of light and space, and that makes a world of difference. I had time for a relaxed dinner two nights running with good friends, a wonderful bonus.

But this week? Thoughts turn to Spindle Camp. Can you tell I'm excited? I am! To some people, though, Spindle Camp might seem like a total snoozer:

IMAG0114

Give her time. Maybe she'll grow up to be a spinner.....

7 Comments:

Blogger Freyalyn said...

You'll have spindles and needles in her hands before she's tried crayons!

8:53 AM  
Blogger Caroline M said...

How neat to see not one but two of Francis's spindles. It's like having worlds collide.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Spindlers2 said...

I'm spinning silk on a Sauerkraut at the moment! It is a lovely spindle...must get more.....

9:42 AM  
Blogger Marcy said...

Oooo, Sourkraut spindles! Got closeups? Jellus. Have some fun this weekend; it sound great!

7:39 AM  
Blogger goatldi said...

Hey I have 4 of them and two are knitters (enabled by me) and one crochets (enabled by a teacher). They are 12, 12, 9. I am still working on the 5 y.o. Now if I can do this what will the great Lamb do?

And damn it she is way too cute. Off the scale!

10:21 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

It couldn't have been better, and actually it's Carson Sierra Spinners and Weavers. Anyway, St Marys might just be available this fall. You'll be hearing from Jan. Oh, and you spun more on your spindles than I did on my wheel! I might just need to acquire a Golding.

9:46 PM  
Blogger andhika said...

This sweet boy is so quiet

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home