Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Everything Old...

is new again.

This silk shawl:
altar cloth3

is now this silk shawl:

shawl overdye

The shawl is about 7 years old, and I might have used it a total of 5 times. It's just so cheerful! bright! and eye-popping in the original colors. The colors suited a purpose at the time, but the new colors are more wearable. Happy happy joy joy that I do not have to weave a new shawl, to get a new shawl :)!

It was an interesting overdye: I used violet, and when I checked the dyebath at about the halfway point, the water was magenta.....was some of the old dye bleeding? Did the new dye color break down into components and the blue strike first?

After the full dye session and cool down, the water was still red. I now think the discoloration must have been the yarn used for the weft: the colors of the shawl are as expected, but the weft where it peaks through is a little brighter.....perhaps it lost a color component. I think the weft is 5/2 cotton, but in order to be sure I'd have to read through my weaving notes on this (2004!), and frankly, not going to happen right now, too busy, a little overwhelmed, in fact.

Why am I so rushed? Have many things to get done before I go visit this happy clean girl:

7671747500103

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will miss the old color scheme. It made such a beautiful cover to go with your silk article. But! We have peeeeeectorz...

3:04 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

Hmmm, I could dye projects that turned out wonky or don't suit me, eh? Another thing to add to the list!

3:55 PM  
Blogger goatldi said...

Lovely shawl both before and after. Thank Heaven for the newest rosy cheeked cherub pix! I get my 3 girls next week -yeeeeeeeeeeeeeHa!

6:06 PM  
Blogger Charlene said...

Why thank you! My colours! How perfect!

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home